Director, Procurement and Operations
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About Role and the Department
Catchafire’s Revenue Operations is a team that is responsible for deeply understanding the health of Catchafire’s Partnerships and supercharging those teams with tools, processes and strategic thinking to grow Catchafire’s ability to impact new and existing foundation partners.
This role is an exciting opportunity for someone who has owned, managed and scaled an Operations function in a growing business. The ideal candidate is someone that has extensive procurement experience and can shape the procurement function to scale to support existing Foundation partnerships and Corporate partnerships. This is a significant opportunity for someone who is unafraid to roll up their sleeves and shape a function that will be critical to the growth and scaling of Catchafire’s Partnerships.
At Catchafire, we feel that building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team culture is critical to our organization’s mission, and our vision of an empathetic, inclusive, and loving world. We are seeking individuals motivated to continue on this journey with us.
- Visualize path to goal: You are an extremely strategic problem solver and negotiator. You understand how decisions get made in complex organizations, you can take in multiple inputs at the same time, and you evaluate what choices are on the table in order to take action and chart a path forward.
- Entrepreneurial and Growth Oriented: You are hungry to develop yourself and your functions to meet the expanding needs of a growing revenue team that includes new business and existing partnerships. You take initiative for your own learning and growth. Because of your quick and agile learning ability, you are able to quickly act on and adapt to short term needs while charting a path for the long term growth of an organization.
- Integrity: You will have access to highly sensitive and confidential information that you will be trusted to treat with great care. You always choose to make the right decision versus the easy decision. You know what information is powerful; you never misuse that power and protect it accordingly.
- Structured delegator and project manager: You are highly skilled at managing cross-functional projects to fulfill business objectives. You give clear, well-defined assignments, and you effectively manage people to own significant responsibilities and hold them accountable. You can engage your team without falling into micro-management, going deep while still conveying respect for and commitment to team members as you own and communicate the decisions you make.
- Intentional and inclusive leader: Over the years you have developed an effective and intentional leadership style that is true to your own personality. You are a leader who believes that you are both a teacher and a student. Specifically, you have invested time in learning about how to build a diverse and inclusive team, and are a committed student in progressively learning how to do this better. You manage to people’s strengths, and you are able to grow high potential individuals into managers, directors, and beyond.
Responsibilities of the Director, Procurement and Operations
Manage and Scale key functions of the Revenue Operations team:
- Lead, develop and scale several key Revenue Operations functional areas that power our revenue teams:
- Procurement and Contracting
- Responsible for owning and designing the systems and policies for our Revenue function that align with Catchafire’s vision and values
- Expertly liaise with our Revenue Teams and externally negotiate with a wide variety of clients on contracting terms
- Lead procurement with complex, enterprise organizations
- Expertly manage procurement related projects & vendors, including internal work related to data and security policies in collaboration with our existing Technology team
- Finance and Operations Management
- Responsible for putting together program budgets and driving financial due diligence conversations with clients and prospects
- Expertly implement systems and delegate responsibilities around invoicing, collections, and other revenue related financial items.
- Work closely with insurance providers to manage COIs for our partners and prospects
- Legal Review and 501c3 experience
- Responsible for working across many different functional business areas to review and negotiate Catchafire’s contracts to mitigate business risk
- Responsible for managing the policies, processes, and filings for our 501c3 including how our revenue teams understand and implement it during our sales process
- Revenue Operations Projects, Systems and Hard Structures
- Set up and manage policies and procedures for the Revenue Team
- Help educate the team to ensure these processes are being followed by multiple stakeholders
- Collaborate seamlessly across multiple business functions and different levels of leadership on key Revenue initiatives
- Build a strong understanding of the needs of our New Business and Existing Partnerships team and develop a long term vision of how we can operationally support our Revenue teams
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Extensive relevant experience with progressive responsibility (perhaps 5-7+ years) in:
- Running an enterprise procurement function OR worked through negotiations with external senior stakeholders
- Navigating tradeoffs and prioritization in order to de-risk partnerships
- Building strong operational systems
- At least a broad understanding of financial basics
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills that have enabled you to communicate long term vision and strategic process to your internal stakeholders
- Success in hiring, managing, developing and promoting diverse, talent to scale a complex function
- Track record of excellently managing multiple projects and functions at a time without losing close attention to detail
- Familiarity with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), and specifically how these concepts manifest in a professional setting and in the context of your role as a manager
- We are open to a broad range of ways a candidate may have developed this experience, including but not limited to experience with organizationational DEI in a prior role, participating in DEI work and/or related trainings, experience with or understanding of DEI issues within the social sector and with institutions we partner with, etc. Commitment, experience OR interest in the social good sector
- Though prior experience in the social good sector is not required, we are seeking individuals looking to learn deeply about this space and quickly progress to become trusted experts
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to [email protected]. Please specify "Director, Procurement and Operations"in the subject, and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at Catchafire?
- Please describe a time when you have managed a complex project or contract that required internal alignment and negotiations with an external prospect or potential client.
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19. We will continue to assess our return date as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.